View Single Post
Old September 21, 2011, 11:37 PM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
GYVEL,
Do you happen to know what the problem was with the earlier revolvers?
Thanks.
Exactly what Jim K said and what I explained on another thread. I was working in Miami in the 80s and no less than four customers who had purchased the then new Redhawk came in with the same complaint. They were out shooting, the gun locked up tighter than a drum, but by the time they got the gun back to our store, the cylinder would move freely and you could dry fire it to your heart's content.

We sent them all back to Ruger, who sent them back with work orders stating that they had "cleaned and oiled." I had my suspicions and, when I looked at the cylinder faces, it was evident that some minor facing had been done on them.

I had formed a theory that, when the guns were being shot, especially in the hot south Florida climate, the cylinders were expanding at an uneven rate causing the face to contact the back of the barrel, thus locking up the gun.

While I was never able to prove that that was the case, it was the only theory that made sense given the symptoms and circumstances.

Here is the other thread, but it's basically what I said here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...01#post4741401

Page generated in 0.02824 seconds with 8 queries