View Single Post
Old October 7, 2010, 10:46 PM   #78
Sefner

Quote:
How about a compromise for college campuses? If you live off campus and have a valid CCH permit then you can carry. However, guns are not allowed in college dorms, or college controlled housing.
Emphasis added. 95% of students in dorms are under 21 and thus can't own a pistol anyways (in most states). Those are are over 21 are RAs (resident assistants). Maybe make it illegal to store a firearm in a dorm but allow carry in the dorm is a better solution. We could maybe tie this into not being able to store a pistol in a place that a minor could easily access it. Pretty much every square inch of a dorm qualifies as this

At many campuses, graduate students and families with students (grad families) live in a separate part of campus in apartments with their families. I see no reason to deny them their right to self defense.

Remember, the proposed regulation must be the least restrictive means possible to achieve the desired result.

Other than that I think this proposal is a definite step in the right direction and I think is even the mythical "low hanging fruit", especially for students like me (I live off campus and drive). I am denied my right to self defense even when I'm not on school grounds because I can't have my firearm on school grounds, so I can't have it on the trip over there. Driving to school does not make me immune to crime. Is this the least restrictive means? I can't even have my firearm in my car if I'm on college property, so if I'm even driving through campus, I'm breaking the law if I am armed.

Page generated in 0.03467 seconds with 8 queries