View Single Post
Old October 27, 2001, 11:18 PM   #2
bullfrog99

the hollow point in the winchester slug is , well useless. drilling it out further wouldn't work because the lead is only about a quarter inch thick at the tip. I have dismatled one and cut a hole thru the middle to see the profile. The slug does however still expand but not like you would think. Actually when it hits from what i've seen the expantion is actually the skirt of lead around the bottom catching up with the tip of the bullet an causing it to be wider than before. Basically the bullet flattens out from the rear instead of from the front on a typical handgun bullet. Rifled slugs shoot like crap from rifled barrels from what i've seen, if you have a smoothbore Winchester slugs are great little slugs for small deer or shall we say man sized game, 150lbs they expand rapidly and make a big hole. they will drop em in their tracks with a good hit( I prefer neck shots) , however that hole is not really all that deep. for bigger bucks and lung shots I prefer brenneke slugs. they may cost a bit more but are great penitrators. they work like lbt semi wadcutter hard cast pistol rounds. For your rifled barrel a 600 grain 3" brenneke gold traveling at 1475 fps can and will kill african buffalo. or shoot from front to back through a large whitetail. those are great slugs and recoil is slightly less then you would think, slightly...

Page generated in 0.02334 seconds with 8 queries