View Single Post
Old August 28, 2013, 12:12 AM   #3
shortwave

jimbob86 did an excellent job on those instructions.

Let me add that if you are going to have a shoulder mount done to your trophy, you want to skip step #2 (cutting the throat). Taxidermists will shoot you if you bring him the head with the cape cut up at the throat.

Instead, after you follow the rest of his instructions starting at steps 3-5 when you get to step 6 reach up a grab the windpipe, pull it down as far as you can with one hand and carefully cut windpipe off with the knife in the other hand. Then continue per jimbobs instructions of removing entrails.

When it comes to skinning/caping the deer. There are a few different ways. I like to hang deer from its hind legs and work towards the head. Start by taking a rear leg in hand and down at the knee, feel the bone that runs down to the hoof. There is a tendon behind that bone. Cut a slit in the hide between that shin bone and that tendon. Do this on both legs. I use a singletree so I put a hook in each of the slits and hoist the derr off the ground.
Take your knife and cut the hide around the leg just at the knees above the tarsal gland. With the belly of the deer facing you, Cut the hide down the legs towards the pelvis being careful not to slice into meat. Do the same with the front legs cutting hide around lower leg and from armpit to lower leg. Go back to where you cut around the knees at rear legs and start pulling the cape down. Undress deer all the way to the base of the head.

Take a hacksaw and cut spine at base of head removing head and cape. Cut front hooves off.

Note: again, if you are going to have a shoulder mount done, leave your taxidermist plenty of hide to work with. I like to cut the hide about half way between front rear legs.

If water is available wash deer down and let dry

If it's cold outside, I like to let the deer cool down a bit then start removing the silver skin and finish processing while hanging.

If it's warm out I'll quarter the deer as it hangs, starting with removing the front half. Then cutting down the spine of the rear half and cutting each rear leg at the knee. Cool it in the fridge and remove a section at a time to remove silver skin and process meat.

FWIW, when skinning I like to use a razor sharp very thin, flexible blade knife. One of my favs. is an old fillet knife I've used for years.

Last edited by shortwave; August 28, 2013 at 01:09 AM.

Page generated in 0.02410 seconds with 8 queries