View Single Post
Old April 19, 2013, 07:22 PM   #25
cptmclark

HELP! Finally, setting up the new press and...

Well the press I claimed I had was not the right one, so I now finally have the Lee Classic Turret Press. I'm having a time imagining what they should have made clear in 1,2,3 type instructions but think I'm getting closer.
Problem now is that it's not indexed properly. An instruction says in that case, just put a 1/4 wrench on the indexing rod and rotate the turret into proper postion.

Problem is even though I'm a big healthy guy I don't have enough strenth to move it that 1/8th or so inches that it needs in order to line up properly. I see (they didn't tell me) that here is a ball detent that should assure proper index. If I'm right about that, this thing is substantially off and I can't move it with any reasonable force that won't break something. I could be wrong, but it looks like that little square key thingy has been peened, and then cemented onto the index rod. Does this make sense?

I could maybe get a better wrench with a long handle and a pipe wrench on the turret, but that seems wreckless. I hope one of you gurus who directed me to this device has had a similar experience and can shed some light on this dismal situation. Dismal only cause I'm enthusiastic to get started. No real hurry I guess, I've waited months already.

Seperately, I see some of the parts are plastic and the turrets themselves are coarse castings. Do they work just fine anyway? For a long time maybe?

Thanks to all who led me to this device, and I hope there is enough interest remaining to get me up to speed and loading happily away on my new Lee press. I know it's been a while.

Mike

Page generated in 0.02980 seconds with 8 queries