View Single Post
Old June 30, 2009, 07:47 AM   #14
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I wonder what people do when they add washers to the end of the arbor so the cylinder gap is wide enough and then find the space between the barrels bottom lug and the frame is too wide or find the wedge won't go into it's slot anymore?
That's a very good question. You fit the arbor length for proper barrel/lug fit to the frame, .000-.002. If barrel gap is tight you remove material at the forcing cone. If the gap is excessive you go back, remove material at the lug/frame, that moves the barrel back. The 60 and 61 model you can remove at the barrel lug, the 51 you have to pull the two pins and remove from the frame.

If you only are making a very minor adjustment, .005 to .010 you generally do not need to alter the wedge slot. For larger adjustments you need to weld the front the the arbor slot and file/machine it for proper fit. The wedge contacts the front of the arbor slot and the rear of the barrel lug slot, be sure you are working the right area.

For short arbors I machine a button from drill rod that fits the arbor hole in the lug. I drill and tap a 6-40 hole in the center so I can remove the button if needed. I make the OD a light press fit.

Page generated in 0.03398 seconds with 8 queries