View Single Post
Old September 14, 2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Tennessee Gentleman

Pax,
Good post. I used to sell P&C (Property and Casualty) Insurance. You illustrated the real issue in regular homeowners insurance. That is intentional acts.

Umbrella policies, while very advisable and cheap, probably do nothing for you viz-a-viz liability for a self defense shooting. If your underlying liability policy (homeowners) don't cover it then the umbrella will probably not do it either.

The key question to ask your agent is whether your homeowners policy will cover intentional acts which a SD shooting is. Also, ask if your defense costs are unlimited and not concurrent with your coverage limits, meaning that the lawyer bills don't reduce your policy limits by the cost of defense.

Most P&C liability policies have defense cost separate and outside of the policy coverage limits.

I don't think any Homeowners I ever saw covered criminal defense costs.

Last edited by Tennessee Gentleman; September 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.02213 seconds with 8 queries