View Single Post
Old March 21, 2012, 01:36 PM   #10
dmazur

Not to get a rant started on the Four Rules (because there are die-hard NRA-trained types who don't like them) but you might start with those.

Then transition into, "If we both follow these rules, we can take turns changing targets and neither will have to worry about what the other is doing."

Believe it or not, it's easier to teach the Four Rules with the exceptions (again, there are those who believe there aren't any exceptions) -

Rule 1 - All guns are loaded Unless you have personally unloaded it for inspection or cleaning when you picked it up. As soon as you put it down, Rule 1 applies again.

Rule 2 - Never point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy Guns in cases, guns laying on tables, and guns with actions locked open are essentially inert and Rule 2 doesn't apply to them. Applies to any gun being held by someone with the action closed. Doesn't matter if you know it's unloaded. (See Rule 1)

Rule 3 - Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire Multiple shots at the same target are an obvious exception. However, if you are moving between targets (like IDPA), finger off the trigger while moving. Finger off the trigger while holstering.

Rule 4 - Be sure of your target and what is beyond An example of this concern is "ridge shots"...if you miss, what is the bullet going to hit? And, if you are into double-taps, practice at a range with a big backstop until you learn to control the second shot.

Just my two cents. These rules are simple enough that they are easily remembered. If they are followed, and not just given a "yeah, yeah more rules", they can save lives.

ETA - The comments after each rule listed above are mine, and paraphrase remarks I have read about the Four Rules in a variety of sources. IMO, the biggest problem with the Four Rules is understanding how to implement them. So, my comments are just plain language attempts to answer the question, "So what does that mean?".

Last edited by dmazur; March 21, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Explained my comments

Page generated in 0.03699 seconds with 8 queries