View Single Post
Old June 8, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1
maestro pistolero

Sen Harry Reid, D. NV, Supporting Sotomayor

In a response to a letter expressing my 2nd amendment concerns over the nomination of Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, Senator Reid sent the following response. He did not specifically mention my particular objections or concerns about the 2A record of this candidate.

June 8, 2009

Mr. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX Dr
Las Vegas, Nevada XXXXX

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX:

Thank you for writing me concerning the recent U.S. Supreme Court nomination made by President Obama. I appreciate hearing from you.

The role of the United States Senate in giving its advice and consent to the President's nominations is one of the most important constitutional obligations we have as senators, and it is a duty that I take very seriously. This obligation is particularly important with respect to nominations for the U.S. Supreme Court. Please know that when the Senate considers any nominations, I thoroughly review all relevant information before deciding whether to consent to them.

Sonia Sotomayor has served as a distinguished jurist for many years. Judge Sotomayor worked for 11 years on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, one of the most demanding circuits in the country, and has handed down decisions on a range of complex legal and constitutional issues. She is a summa cum laude graduate of Princeton University and a graduate of Yale Law School. Before she was promoted to the Second Circuit by President Clinton, she was appointed to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York by President George H.W. Bush. She will bring valuable experience to the Supreme Court, having worked as both a big-city criminal prosecutor and a corporate litigator, a trial judge and an appellate judge. If confirmed, Sotomayor would bring more federal judicial experience to the Supreme Court than any justice in 100 years, and more overall judicial experience than anyone confirmed for the Court in the past 70 years.

Again, thank you for contacting my office with your concerns. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the confirmation process gets underway. For information about my work for Nevada, my role in the United States Senate Leadership, or to subscribe to regular e-mail updates on the issues that interest you, please visit my Web site at http://reid.senate.gov. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,
HARRY REID
United States Senator
Nevada

Page generated in 0.02985 seconds with 8 queries