View Single Post
Old February 1, 2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Sevens

I have a circa '94 Contender with a Super 14" barrel in .223. I used to have an absolute blast with it, but I don't shoot it much these days. I picked up a 10-inch .44 Mag barrel a couple of years ago... I figured it was an inexpensive way to add a caliber to my arsenal and event better-- a full 10-inch barrel with no revolver flash gap would give me better ballistics from a .44 Mag than if I went out and bought a big revolver.

I'm sure I hit it right on both of those... but now I've got a freakishly light handgun that simply knocks the crap out of my hand. And I have never considered myself an overly recoil-sensitive kind of shooter, but this one hurts to shoot with any serious .44 Mag load that I build for it. I can make target level rounds that aren't obnoxious, but then I'm not sure what the point is. I can shoot targets loads out of a .38, I don't need to sling 240 grains of lead for target shooting.

And with the .223 barrel, I've got a Bushnell 2-6x scope on it that I bought for it when it was new in '94, and the whole setup is an inch-shooter at 100 yards, but I can't see most smaller targets worth a damn at 100 yards! I'd like a 12 or 15x, but in a handgun scope? I think there's maybe only one out there currently (Burris?) and I haven't got the kind of cash it'd take to bring one home.

So I've always liked my Contender, but I just don't do much with it these days. That .44 barrel would be MUCH better if it was magna-ported, no damn doubt. And for as much fun as it is to do precision, bench-rest shooting from a handgun at 100 yards, 6x just isn't working for me and my eyes aren't getting any younger.

Page generated in 0.03761 seconds with 8 queries