View Single Post
Old July 29, 2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

I read the report at the link you provided. Interesting. I have never used the stuff (never heard of it before actually) but I was really interested in the part about the "Continued exposure to service members...." could cause problems. Carcinogen's is something our health care system does not need to be burdened with in 25 years.

The DOD is pretty rigorous in their testing procedures and I honestly believe they try to find the best for our troops, so long as we do not have to spend a lot of money. I think they found what they were looking for (A wider application or use of product) in the other tested product. i.e., they have a product which offers even more benefits than this Militec-1.

Remember, the supply chain is ENOURMOUS and the weapons are being used in so many different environments. I used to have to play heck and threaten my guys with disciplinary action to get them to clean their rifles and pistols. One of the responses in this thread was "If you do it every couple of days..." I did not have time to supervise the cleaning of weapons every couple of days. I did not have the time to ensure it was done correctly. I would inspect the weapons and the ones who tried to pass a dirty weapon got their butts chewed and had to do it again. Repeat offenders, and there were many of them, had to start cleaning multiple weapons. I was in charge of only 35 people and about 60 weapons. Imagine some of these guys who are in charge of hundreds of weapons... Where do they get the time to clean and inspect all of them?

I know a clean and functional weapon is a personal responsibility, but you would be amazed at the number of people who either are too tired to do it right or just don't give a wharf rats butt about cleaning it. "But Master Sergeant Buck, it will still shoot..." was a very popular explanation as to why they had not cleaned their rifles or handguns.

If you want to use the militech-1, go ahead, I am sure it is a good product, but wear latex gloves when using it.

Anyway, sorry about the long rant, this is a peeve of mine because I hear of so many companies that want to get into the federal supply chain, not because they have the best interest of our soldiers in mind, but because then they can make more money. Anyone that just wants to make more money on the backs of our fighting men and women with no regard as to the quality of their product or service are lowlifes.

My above comment was not directed at the militech people, but the veterans you talk to can tell you of other products that did not work like they were supposed to, or fell apart after a few uses. That was one of the reasons behind the DOD setting up testing facilities.

I really hope the militec people provide the DOD with what was requested and in further testing they make the grade.

Page generated in 0.03042 seconds with 8 queries