View Single Post
Old November 9, 2012, 06:46 PM   #13
SerenityNetworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Trigger control is an important part of accuracy. Dry firing is great for this. The laser is not needed.
Yep. I use the laser less than half the time. I try to remember to set a goal when I go to practice, whether dry fire at home or live fire at the range. If I'm working on NPOA then I don't need the laser at all and I don't use it. I may not even pull the trigger if I'm practicing with a semi-auto. But if I'm practicing with my 30-06 then I most certainly cycle the bolt between 'shots'. What I get from the laser is (1) follow up feedback. The laser stays on long enough that if it wiggles on the target then I know my follow up stinks and I'm not holding the rifle steady after the trigger pull. A wiggling dot might also mean that I'm jerking the trigger. And (2) the laser gives me feedback on the shot's accuracy. I have mixed feelings about this, as it's not the same as 'calling the shot'. The feedback is too immediate and sometimes I catch myself focused on the target, so I can watch the laser, rather than focusing on my front sight. Then again, sometimes I focus on the target, and not my front sight, during live fire. But I'm much better at staying focused on the front sight than I used to be. I just hope I can keep my focus on the sights when I have an animal in the sights :-)

Quote:
Another part of the equation is being able to shoulder the rifle accurately. So I believe that the act of re-cocking the rifle and bringing back to firing position is beneficial. Do this; dry fire, cock, close eyes, shoulder rifle, open eyes and see how well the sights are lined up. You can practice without dry firing also.
Absolutely! Checking my NPOA is always part of the process. Dry fire practice, even without pulling the trigger has been incredibly helpful with this discipline. I can dry fire on a regular basis at home. When I do get the chance to go to the range then I am NOT just learning; I am validating what I already practiced and learned at home.

Quote:
If you plan on putting your skills to some utilitarian purpose such as; hunting coyotes or tactical like stuff, then this is important. Practice shouldering and u should be able to get into firing position and everything is lined up to shoot.
Well, I don't do tactical stuff, at least not the pray and spray I commonly see. Every shot I take is intended to be aimed well enough to accomplish its goal. Hunting is my primary goal, even though I do enjoy plinking just for plinking's sake. So yes, my practice is mostly standing, sitting, or using a support of one type or another. I don't practice a lot of prone and (at least not now) and I don't use a bipod, because that's not the kind of hunting I'll be doing.

All that said, I agree with all the benefits everyone has expressed about dry firing without a laser and without an auto-cock mechanism - and I either already practiced or have since adopted the suggestions made here into my practice. I just think an auto-cock mechanism would add one more element of live fire to dry fire practice when simulating semi-auto use, nothing more. In Appleseed terms, it would let my practice 'the rifleman's cadence'.

I certainly appreciate the suggestions people are making and hope they keep coming. I'm learning a lot.

Thanks again,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

Page generated in 0.03757 seconds with 8 queries