View Single Post
Old June 6, 2014, 12:03 PM   #99
tahunua001

Quote:
Don't know where the OP is hunting, but I can't see limiting myself to a cartridge/bullet combo that will require almost dream conditions to be successful. Especially if your hunting outside of your home state. Elk tags in Wyoming are tough to come by, and expensive. Now if your hunting on your own property somewhere and you have the time to wait them out, maybe so. I have a brand new 6.5-300 WSM I'm itching to try out. But it's not going Elk hunting. When your still hunting on foot and you come across fresh Grizzly tracks, your whole outlook on cartridges and bullets seems to change very rapidly.
I'm attempting this for the challenge. forcing myself to stalk rather than just up and start blasting at 400+ yards. last year I ran into elk in fairly thick woods and after chasing them for about 2 hours finally stalked to within 100 yards and dropped one, my 300 weatherby loads did a pretty thorough job of making sure we just quartered it because there was a lot of meat damage. if I have to hunt open areas the 300 is coming along but if I'm hunting woods there is no reason why I would need lethal past 300 yard cartridges. as for bear, my tags are only good in an area that has no grizzlies, we do regularly see blacky tracks in the snow while elk hunting but a 6.5 grendel, especially from an AR is more than sufficient to stop a 150 pound charging sow. I also routinely pack a 45 for bear, my rifle would likely stay on my shoulder, no matter what I was packing, faster target aquisition and follow up shots.

Page generated in 0.03478 seconds with 8 queries