View Single Post
Old June 9, 2014, 03:30 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

30 Herrett anyone play ???

so... I'm going through all my brass, now that some of the shortage is behind us ( this time ) & in doing so, I hit my 30-30 cases... I noticed that when MRS dad died, I didn't find any 30 Herret cases or ammo, even though I had a barrel & dies... I was assuming I must have just looked at the head stamps, & mixed them up... as I went through the ammo boxes, I didn't see anything that looked different ( was assuming it was just an improved case ) but upon looking in my Contender Load Book I noticed that I honestly couldn't have mixed them up, even with my knowledge of cartridges back then... I made up one & trimmed it, just to see how different it was... will size up a bunch, & load up some... anyone else play with this cartridge ???

interestingly I found the price tag for the barrel & Pacific dies in the die box... $125.00

the barrel had the front sight sweated off, which looks a little unsightly ( sorry for the pun ) I may turn down the front portion & re-blue, as I'm sure I'll put a scope on the barrel???

FIL had a load recipe ( not sure where he got it, may have come with the barrel??? ) anyway, my Contender load books have detailed description for setting up the dies ( to head space on the shoulder ) forming cases, & many loads... I'm really surprised he didn't have cases formed & or loaded... even though he had a lot "going on" he usually had at least starting loads & at least a hand full of brass...

also working on 6 X 45 SSK, & 7mm TCU... he only had about 30 cases formed for the 6 X 45 ( unless I mixed those in with the 223 cases back then ) in all fairness, those are harder to tell apart, & that was 16 - 17 years ago, & I was a less "mature" hand ,loader back then... if I didn't know what I was looking for... when I form up a couple 100, I'll knurl & flatten to obliterate the head stamps, so they don't get mixed in, in the future... he had about 250 - 7mm TCU cases formed, & they stand out enough, that I may not obliterate the head stamps on them... just like the 30 Herret, I think it's enough different, that I don't need to obliterate the headstamps on those either

any thoughts on my buddies comments about only using Remington brass to avoid thinning the case mouths ???

Page generated in 0.02113 seconds with 8 queries