View Single Post
Old February 24, 2011, 06:48 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
They are also sending me a sample of a powder that they are coming out with...that will clean brass, to spotless, in one hour(try that with your cob or nut)
I use Corn Cob, an additive, and dryer sheets (new ones - people that use old dryer sheets got on the wrong bus).

My brass never takes more than an hour to come out looking brand new. I have no dust (refer to the new dryer sheets comment). And, it smells like "Spring Meadows", "Fresh Linen", or whatever the dryer sheet scent of the month happens to be.

Quote:
But, another con is that if you do a lot of load development where you want to track INDIVIDUAL pieces of brass through multiple reloadings, the SS media takes-off just about any marking that you can think of. My only solution to that is to actually stamp numbers on the case heads in the remaining open space left by the manufacturer's headstamps. (Which also can create other issues.)
My corn cob method removes all markings from cases, as well. To solve the issue, I only throw brass in the tumbler in combinations that I can track.
For example, I might need to track 5 lots of 4 pieces of brass for .270 Winchester. Since all of my ammo is tracked, at a minimum, in 'box'-sized lots, I can throw a whole box of various other brass in. I'll throw one lot of the .270 stuff in with a box of .32 S&W Long, and box of 9mm, a box of .30-06, and a couple untracked boxes of .45 Auto (I don't own a .45, and the shooters I tumble for don't care about mixing lots).

This means you have to run 5 loads through the tumbler, but it's not an issue for me. I usually have a backlog of to-be-cleaned brass stacked up by the tumbler. (Partly to help with the available selection for by-lot tracking through the tumbler.)

It would definitely be a more complicated process for tracking individual pieces of brass, though.

Page generated in 0.03104 seconds with 8 queries