View Single Post
Old September 27, 2006, 08:19 AM   #7
springmom

I'd get the best scope I could

This year you are only hunting deer. However, in a few years, if the idea of an elk hunt starts nagging at you, you will want that good scope. Look at it this way: "too much scope for deer" isn't going to make you MISS the deer, but if you decide to use that rifle for something bigger and further away, well, you have a good scope already.

Camo...there's a thread on this board ongoing as to whether it is even necessary, and somebody noted that since deer don't see color, a really loud Hawaiian shirt with lots of flowers on it will serve just fine, although others suggest olive drab or tan. When I went out scouting last week, I wore brown or olive slacks and a drab green tee shirt. Just wash the stuff in the special laundry soap that kills scent, and don't put any fabric softener in the water or dryer sheets in the dryer. You don't want to smell like Febreeze in the woods I wear Mossy Oak lightweight camo early in the season when it's often as not still HOT down here (southeast Texas) and I have heavier Realtree Hardwoods for later on.

+1 on the GOOD BOOTS. They will make all the difference between having a fun day and being utterly miserable. Likewise, good socks.

Welcome to the addiction!

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun

Page generated in 0.03912 seconds with 8 queries