View Single Post
Old July 10, 2011, 08:32 PM   #22
Nnobby45

Quote:
No matter how they are made, or placed, you will get some richochets. You might be able to minimize them but not prevent them and just one may be the one that gets you. If you take them for granted, they will bite you. ..
I use the Evil Roy portable steel targets that flatten and fragment the bullet and direct it straight down to the ground. If the fragments hit the front support, small pieces can come back. I shoot at an angle at closer ranges for that reason. If a bullet hits the edge of the target, it can richochet off into the wild blue yonder. I shoot on public land with a safe backstop (like a bank or a mountain).

There are no richochets that can come back at the shooter other than small fragments.

When sweeping up my brass at a local shooting range, some years ago, I noticed all the small pieces of bullet jacket on the floor--all around the shooting stations. Testimony to the importance of eye protection.

In Farnum's course we used steel rotating targets. I got a tiny piece of fragment on the cheek below my glasses. Not a major event, but could have been serious if it hit the eye. We shot at 8 yds. If I wiped it with my finger and looked real close, I could barely make out the tiniest speck of blood. Class had worse injuries drawing, running, shooting, reloading and clearing malfunctions. The biggest danger may be when turned away exposing the eye from the side. We used side shields that could be attached to our glasses for that reason.

Considering the thousands of steel targets in use, I've heard more criticism on this board than from all other sources put together. They have their place, but aren't appropriate everywhere.

Last edited by Nnobby45; July 10, 2011 at 08:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.03749 seconds with 8 queries