View Single Post
Old April 28, 2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Sevens

I've been pondering my answer to this question for years.

I'm still not casting for all of these reasons, and not listed in any particular order.
  • I don't have access to free or cheap lead. Last thing I want to add to my life is slumming around tire shops begging for lead.
  • I'm thoroughly confused on how exactly I'm supposed to get the lead mix that works best. I'm certain I can learn it, but I'm not in the mood to learn all the ins & outs of a lifelong hobby at this point. As long as I've been a handloader, I've still got so much to learn just in that.
  • I'm not thrilled with the prospect of working with molten hot liquid. I've been through third degree burns before (that was a long 7 weeks out of work) and I'm just not looking forward to that part of it.
  • I also don't care much for the idea of hazardous air, putting me in the garage or the driveway to do the work.
  • I already burn piles of time with shooting and handloading, which I enjoy a heap. I've got two young kids, so this is NOT the time to add another huge can of worms such as casting.
  • Even though I've seen the prices climb like crazy, I still look at the number of high quality cast lead slugs I get from a guy like Dardas and I'm pretty darn happy with how they shoot and how much I spend on 'em. I don't feel pinched by the cost of quality commercially cast bullets.
  • Everyone says it's not that expensive to get started, but that's all relative. Until I have a pile of lead here, it just looks like a lot of molds and equipment that needs to be purchased... I'd rather buy primers or more guns.

With all that said... I honestly see myself casting one day. It's just that every time I think about it, I think about all the reasons I just don't want to start up a new hobby.

Page generated in 0.03640 seconds with 8 queries