View Single Post
Old February 27, 2006, 02:26 PM   #1
j1132s

Shot my first match (steel challenge); help me improve.

Well, yesterday I shot my first match -- a steel challenge match. Two things that I need to remember next time:

1. Wear a hat and use sun block. Right now the back of my neck hurts a lot from sun burn; also my face hurts. This is my 2nd time ever shooting outdoors (the first time lasted ~30min), so I completely failed to prepare in this area.

2. Bring water. The range had no water and I was there from 9:30AM to 1PM. Got really thursty and to make things worse, the range is in the middle of nowhere. It took maybe 10 minutes driving before I find a place to buy something to drink.

Other than my pain right now, the match was really fun. I was shooting an HK P2000 and was expecting to come in last but didn't. People were friendly and took time out to show me the course setup and safety rules. If I knew how fun/easy it is to attend a shooting match, I'd have done it earlier; hey, better late than never.

Interestingly, I think I can vastly improve my time because I was so nervous that I'm missing shots that I normally don't miss. I.e. those plates were pretty big and not too far, if I take a little bit more time to aim, it can drastically lower my time. I find myself many times not aiming at all and just kept pulling the trigger. (Shot dry a magazine once and had to change mags.)

Towards the end, also (I think) the harder parts of the match where plates are more varied in locations, I was very tired and thursty. Frankly, at that time I just wanted the match to be over. I shot 172 shots that day, it is the most I've every shot in any session, and I can tell my aim is getting worse. I'll have to do more dry fire and work on endurance. Also, just standing around for those hours is tiring. Maybe bring a chair to the next match (although nobody brought one).

So, I'd appreciate any suggestions to improve my steel times. Mainly how to practice at an indoor range for the steel challenge where targets are pretty much straight down range.

Right now, I don't think I'm ready buy new equipment, so I'd like to stay with using either the DA/SA HK P200 or Glock 19. I 'm considering taking the Glock to the next steel match.

Also, thanks for all the help regarding my IDPA posting, especially Jim Watson. I'll be attending that match this coming Sunday.

Page generated in 0.02393 seconds with 8 queries