View Single Post
Old August 12, 2012, 09:45 AM   #5
MLeake

He said he is not new to shooting or to guns, just new to concealed carry.

OP, choose a handgun or two that you are already comfortable with. Personally, I would recommend at least one small gun that you can conceal under the widest range of conditions, and one medium or full size gun that you can reasonably conceal.

Some mind weight more than others.

Personally, I have been carrying for five years, now, and still prefer medium or full-size. Typically, for me this means a full-size (with outer shirt or jacket) M&P, or a compact (with loose t-shirt) M&P; but I sometimes carry a 5" 1911, and because it is so thin, it can conceal under some loose t-shirts.

Generally speaking, grip height affects concealability more than slide or barrel length do (until you get into longslides or 6" barrels). Thickness impacts carry garments more than length (again, in general terms).

I find strong side IWB to generally be the best compromise for concealability and accessibility. Some prefer pocket carry, but that can pose serious challenges if you spend a lot of time seated. Some like smartcarry; I tried it with a PPS, but found it physically uncomfortable. (My wife claims good genetics...)

Different carry modes should be tested in different positions to determine accessibility. Some carry positions can be blocked by seat backs; some may not work due to limited range of motion in joints. My father can't rotate his shoulder enough to draw from strong side IWB, so he has to use a crossdraw IWB or front pocket carry.

Once you identify preferred carry mode(s), and ideally get to try some friends' holsters, you may need to modify your wardrobe. A purpose-designed belt, that doesn't flex or sag much will help distribute weight and keep the gun from flopping around. For IWB, you may need to buy one pants size bigger. For pocket carry, you may need pants with bigger pockets. Outer shirts with a seam structure and pattern tend to conceal better. Solids can work, but will need to be structured.

Good luck.

Page generated in 0.02730 seconds with 8 queries