View Single Post
Old March 30, 2013, 08:09 AM   #28
rodfac

I've done some lead alloy bullet shooting in both a G19 and a G23...both leaded terribly after a single magazine. Cleaning wasn't much of a chore after so few rounds...but accuracy was atrocious. The first two or three rounds were good for a little over an inch at 10 yds from a Weaver Stance, slow fire. The remainder spread out to over 4" in an increasing diameter, indicating a progressive leading of the barrel and leade.

Both barrels showed a buildup of lead at the front of the chamber, right at the beginning of the leade and rifling. This buildup after a single magazine of lead alloy bullets was thick enough to feel as I dropped reloaded rounds into the chamber of the dismounted barrel, in effect increasing headspace, ie. not allowing the round to fully seat in the chamber.

Too, the rifling was streaked from breach to muzzle, and lead removed with a patch wrapped bronze brush as well as a Lewis Lead Remover showed long streaks of leading in the bore.

Replacing the barrel, leaded in this way, then trying to chamber loaded lead alloy rounds, I found that full lock up became difficult. What really concerned me was that at some point, I feared the barrel would lock up just enough to allow firing pin fall, with a partially supported case...a prescription for a case blow out.

I do shoot lead alloy through both Glocks now, but with Lone Wolf barrels installed (conventionally rifled and with better rear chamber support for the case head), and I clean them thoroughly. Glocks are justly famous for their rifling, and in my experience, their accuracy with that polygonal rifling type and jacketed bullets, but it wasn't a good match for lead alloy bullets.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Page generated in 0.02421 seconds with 8 queries