View Single Post
Old October 21, 2008, 11:35 AM   #41
David Armstrong

Quote:
It is a rare but not impossible situation to face a rampage shooter. The length of our hallways, leading to a target rich classroom, from my office is about 50 yards. IIRC, an AF MP took down a rampage shooter with an M9 at 75 yards. So, does the average distance based on mostly property crime distance aid me in thinking about a work place nutso scenario?
I think that is the key, Glenn. Are you only concerned with the work place nutso scenario? We all have limited resources, some more limited than others. Do we best expend those resources preparing for the rare but not impossible situation, or do we best expend those resources preparing for the far more likely possibility? And how do we determine what is rare and what is likely without understanding the data available to us? As an example, for a long time we taught our police officers to be pretty good, but slow, shots at 25 yards, but didn't spend much in teaching them to fight fast and furious at close range. Once we started really looking at what went on in those fights, we began to change the focus of the training. Certainly it would be nice if we could all spend 40 hours a week on the range with unlimited free ammo being trained by top instructors, but since we can't how do we decide what to devote our resources to without a good understanding of what we are likely (and unlikely) to face? Of course, whether it really matters much in the long run or not is a different question<G>!

Page generated in 0.02924 seconds with 8 queries