View Single Post
Old May 18, 2015, 03:22 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

To keep things simple (as if), basic question, Five shots? or Six?

The Colt SAA action (and copies) are safe to carry with 5 rounds in the cylinder, with the hammer down on the empty chamber. They are not safe to carry with the hammer down on a live round.

In 1973, Ruger introduced the "New Model" lockwork, using a transfer bar, and new model Rugers are safe to carry with 6 in the cylinder.

The manual of arms for both are DIFFERENT.

The Colt system (and copies, including unconverted pre-73 Rugers) have a half cock position on the hammer that frees the cylinder to turn for loading and unloading. The proper method of loading one for carry is to load a chamber, skip the next one, then load the next four. Then bring the hammer back to full cock and ease it down on the empty chamber.

New model Rugers do not have a half cock position. Opening the loading gate (alone) frees the cylinder to rotate. Load all six, close the gate, and carry.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the Super Blackhawk, but that's a personal matter. 30+ years of shooting the (new model) Blackhawk just leaves me with a couple gripes about the Super. I don't care for the Dragoon triggerguard. I don't like the grooved trigger, and the hammer spur is in the wrong place, compared to where I feel it ought to be.

All personal issues, and can be changed, if desired, I've just never bothered, since I don't shoot my Super very much. I do shoot the Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and Vaqueros in .45 Colt, and like them very much.

There are purists who feel that if is single action revolver doesn't look and work like a Colt, its not worth having. I'm not one of them, and don't have any Colt Single action revolvers, or clones.

I do like new model Rugers, and have several, .22, .357, .44Mag (SuperB) .45 Colt (two Blackhawks and 4 Vaqueros, and a New Vaquero)

Ruger also uses coil springs, the original Colt design does not.

Hope this helps

Page generated in 0.03655 seconds with 8 queries