View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013, 03:32 AM   #20
Sevens

Quote:
What ever happened to paper targets?
I spent the bulk of my shooting life shooting at paper targets and I'm quite certain that it's a large part of where my skill for accurate, aimed fire was developed. Living where I do, shooting outdoors is miserable for at least a couple months out of the year and it's those cold, rotten months where I go back to an indoor range and shoot -NOTHING- but small groups on paper targets. I thoroughly enjoy the change of pace and I consider these sessions to be "serious" where I spend more time trying to refine my skill at accurate shooting because you can't cheat the paper, the evidence remains.

However, shooting at steel targets -- especially when you have a huge array of them, especially when they are all different shapes, sizes and in different places, especially when you have a friend with you who is attempting to take them down at the same time as you are... introduces a laundry list of new skills to try and develop.

I shot for two decades and NEVER started my shooting from a holster draw, NEVER did a pressure reload, NEVER transitioned from target to target quickly, NEVER had to "choose" a target at speed and avoid another. The hits you make are pass or fail, you either take it down or you don't. If you aren't running a caliber/load with steam to spare, you need the hit in a better spot. However, if you are running a cannon that drops plates with even a slight fraction of a hit, transitioning quickly is an awful lot more difficult as you try to get your front sight back down from the clouds and on to a target. If you hope to take down a number of targets quickly, you better get out of the habit of patting yourself on the back for a good shot... and transition to the next target.

Shooting paper targets is terrific, but your post seems a bit lost in this thread.

Page generated in 0.02823 seconds with 8 queries