View Single Post
Old July 19, 2014, 12:29 AM   #12
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I bought a number of 30-30 rifles to overload them to see what would happen.
But the Win 94 and Marlin 335 rifles I bought had such flimsy actions that I chickened out with them.

But with a Sav 219 break action 30-30 that looked many times stronger than the brass, I worked up to 38 gr W749 220 gr HNDY round nose moly W748 2.92" 26"
Quickload prediction:
83 kpsi 2446 fps
Result: brass and primer still look good

When I started handloading, I got a Rockchucker kit that came with my first load book, Speer 12.

"Speer 12" 1994:
"Some bolt-action and single-shot rifles have been chambered for this cartridge. Reloaders can sue spritzer-type bullets in these rifles, but should keep the weight to 150 grains or less. Heavier spritzer bullets cannot be drive fast enough in the 30-30 to expand reliably. We are occasionally asked if the 30-30 can be loaded to higher velocities in a modern bolt action like the Remington model 788. The answer is NO! The 30-30 case is an old design with relatively thin walls. Attempting to load "hotter" would risk a dangerous case failure."

I have cross sectioned about every brand I could find of 30-30 brass.
I searched for a piece of 30-30 brass that does not look as thick and strong as I would like.
But these days I search that book to try to find one thing in it that is correct.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Page generated in 0.02995 seconds with 8 queries