View Single Post
Old August 18, 2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward429451
I know, it sounds bad how I said that. The other side of the coin is that the thieves read this stuff too and we don't want to encourage them do we? Let's all get on here and talk how we wont shoot thieves, and how we have a plan to run out of our house if they come so we don't break any precious laws...
I'm not sure who on here is saying that... But as law-abiding citizens, and gun-owning ones at that, we do have a responsibility to be clear, both in our own minds and in our public statements, that we will follow the law in these matters, whatever it happens to be where we live.

Quote:
Crime is more widespread now because the people are being conditioned to not fight back.
Except it's not more widespread... both violent crimes and property crimes are on the decline, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. It's a trend that's been consistent over the past three or four decades. Although no one quite seems to know why...

I suppose you could try standing your argument on its head, and say that if crime is declining, more people must be fighting back, but that would be... a considerable flip-flop.

I get that you're making a rhetorical point, but I think the possible deterrent effect on the multitudes of thieves who frequent TFL (:snort:) is outweighed by the potential harm of such statements: as a practical matter, they offer bad advice to folks who are new to the idea that they can and should defend themselves and their homes, and as a matter of PR for gun owners... very uncool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H
"Use Of Deadly Physical Force Against An Intruder" is a whole different thing than using "lethal force to protect property".
Exactly. Well put. Just so.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; August 18, 2011 at 02:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.02497 seconds with 8 queries