View Single Post
Old February 9, 2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Slamfire

Quote:
Was told that's what the Germans did in WWII when they found ammo from Garands.
I doubt it happened.

This is a variation of a story that I heard from relatives and people I knew, in fact I heard the same thing on “Car Talk” as a puzzler, that the Japanese purposely chambered their rifle with a bullet that was larger than ours. This was so that they could shoot captured American rounds in their rifles. Of course we could not chamber captured Japanese ammunition because the bullet was too big.

Oh, how inscrutable the Orientals!

This was 100% bogus. I took a 30-06 round and not only is it too long for the magazine of a Type 99 Arisaka, it is too long for the chamber. A 30-06 won’t feed and chamber in either the 6.5 Arisaka or the 7.7 Arisaka.

If you remember, the WW2 generation were forever proving the righteousness of their war, that the enemy was really, really evil, and that the Japanese had always been planning to fight a war of aggression against America.

This is one of those stories that got bandied around by enough people that it gets accepted as fact, without anyone checking to see if it was true.

Just like the idea that greased bullets dangerously raise pressures because grease pinches the case neck.

So, how did the Swiss get away with greased bullets for over a century?

Lets not debate that here, lets keep on the topic of 30-06's in 8 X 57 Mausers.

Page generated in 0.03373 seconds with 8 queries