View Single Post
Old October 18, 2012, 01:06 AM   #9
Lost Sheep

Yep, lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p loader
Another lesson learned.

So I was emptying the powder dispenser, I didn't have much in there so I thought to just use a shell casing to dump powder into and then pour that back into the powder container. I read somewhere you never want to leave powder overnight in your reloader....
Yes, the solvents in powder can etch some plastics if left in contact for a long time. If you have more than one powder in your inventory you may forget which one is in the dispenser and contaminate one powder with another. Lastly, (I am told) some powders have some volatile components which may evaporate and leave your powder with a different energy content or burn rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p loader
I did this about 10-15 times and started to get impatient. Heck, why not just double charge the shell casing, this would cut my time in half!? Pull once on the lever, good to go. Pull twice....whoops. Powder overflows the casing and all over the reloader and onto the floor. Crap
A dropcloth under your work area makes cleanup a lot easier. Also, dropped primers, small tools, etc. Use cloth, not plastic. Static on plastic tends to make spilled powder scatter. Cloth is quieter than plastic and drapes better, leading to less bounce and roll of small objects.

About your high primer. This is what bullet pullers are for. Disassemble the round, carefully deprime and reload. Of course, some people would have you seat the primer deeper, but there is a small amount of risk with that if some powder has fallen through the flash hole and jams up against the primer. Small amount of risk, but be aware.

Good Luck. Congratulations on your successful foray into loading.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02452 seconds with 8 queries