Thread: Winchester 9422
View Single Post
Old November 5, 2012, 08:45 PM   #3
603Country

I have a 9422 that had a problem for a couple of years, and it's possible that you have the same problem. My rifle would eject the spent case but would not always feed up the new round. It happened at random times and just every now and then. Drove me crazy and I thought it was some sort of restriction in the magazine tube, right where it joins the action and the feed 'thingie' that moves the fresh round from the mag tube up to where it can be fed into firing position. I took the rifle apart several times and cleaned it, or at least I thought I had cleaned it, but the problem persisted. Well, I really got ticked one day and I figured that I'd just take it apart one more time and get really dead serious about the cleaning in every stinkin crack and crevice in the action. What I found shocked me. There was a spent case up under the feed 'thingie'. It was black with combustion grime and was really hard to see and had probably been in there for years. Somehow that spent case got into there and what it occasionally did to cause problems was to migrate just a tiny bit in the wrong direction and then it wouldn't allow the feed 'thingie' to drop far enough down to pick up the fresh round. I worked the spent case out, did some more cleaning, and the problem has never come back. How the heck did that spent case get in there and how in the heck did I never find it in previous cleanings. I don't know.

I bought that gun cheap from a gunsmith. I got it for $80. I'm thinking that the reason the gun was so cheap was that it had that pesky feeding problem and that the gunsmith didn't find that spent case and couldn't fix the feeding problem. So he unloaded it on me. And 5 years later I finally fixed it.

Anyway, take your 9422 apart and look under the feed thingie. Look real close, use a good light, and take a toothpick and poke around in there.

Page generated in 0.02482 seconds with 8 queries