View Single Post
Old August 23, 2009, 01:08 PM   #28
Win73

Reminds me of an incident that happened to me. It happened in my company parking lot which at the time was in a bad area of town. I was transferring equipment from my company vehicle to my personal car after quitting time. I noticed a rough looking character coming down the sidewalk toward our gate. Something told me he had me targeted. Sure enough he turns into our gate and comes toward me. I was carrying a .32 ACP Davis Derringer in my pocket. I would have liked to have had something more potent on me but it meant my job if anybody could detect that I was carrying. That little derringer simply disappeared in my pocket. Anyway when I got the feeling that he had me targeted, I took the derringer out of my pocket and pushed off the cross bolt safety. With my thumb curled around the half cocked hammer and my finger on the trigger, I put both hands on my hips and turned to face him. The derringer was completely concealed by my hand so that he could not see it. As he approached me, he said in a rough voice "Know what I want!" I was looking him in the eye and answered in just as rough a voice "No, what!" This seemed to set him back. It wasn't what he expected. He stuttered a bit then lost the rough tone to his voice and asked if I could give him 50 cents to get something to eat. Continuing to look him in the eye with my hands on my hips (concealing the derringer), I told him no. He then started talking almost crazy talk. He told me that he could tell where a car was going by looking at its license plate. He said that the Federal government was paying him $1,000 a month to spot drug cars for them. That immediately made me wonder why he would need 50 cents from me to get something to eat. Three times he acted like he was leaving but turned around again. I think if I had reached into the company vehicle to get another piece of equipment, he would have been all over me. Or if I had put my hand into my pocket to get money when he asked for it. However the whole time he was there I stood with my hands on my hips staring him in the eye. I'm no tough guy but I am 6' 1" tall and weigh over 200 pounds (need to lose some of it!) When he finally did leave, I stared at the back of his head till he was out our gate and well down the sidewalk. Only then did I finish what I was doing while keeping a watch in case he came back.

I did not have to use or even show the gun, but I think having it in my hand instantly ready gave me the confidence to stand up to him. I am confident that his original intent was to mug me if I didn't give him my money voluntarily. If he had tried anything it would have taken about one second to put two .32 Silvertips in his face. I think that would have worked a sufficient attitude adjustment on him.

Those people are predators just like any wild animal and like any predator they prey on the weak and vulnerable. If I had shown any weakness I believe he would have carried through with his original plan. Also when I get one of those feelings in the future, I will trust it.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Page generated in 0.03544 seconds with 8 queries