View Single Post
Old February 16, 2012, 03:13 PM   #35
BigJimP

My rationale behind a semi-auto defensive shotgun .../ or even a pump gun with some recoil absorbtion, is I was assuming I thought you wanted it for a primary defense gun ...so I was assuming you'd probably put at least 50 shells a month thru it.

No the recoil on a pump gun isn't that bad ...but its more than I'd like with heavy slugs or "OO" thru it in any big quantity. It certainly depends on your budget...but to me, a shotgun costing $ 1,850 isn't that big a deal ...if its a gun that you'll enjoy having and shooting for the next 20 + yrs.../ but if
$1,850 takes the fun out of it ...you have other pump gun options.

As some of us have gotten a little older ... we understand recoil is cumulative / so it wears you out mentally as well as physically ....even if you're only going to put 50 shells a year thru it in a typical training day...but you were asking for options beyond the 870 and Mossberg...just trying to help ...

I'm big enough to handle the recoil at 6'5" and 275 lbs - though a little into my later yrs over 60 yrs old ....but if I were going to train with a tactical shotgun ....I'd probably do it in combination with my primary defensive handgun ...maybe 200 rds thru my handgun / and at least 25 - 50 thru the shotgun. Get my transition speed up ...going from the handgun - to the shotgun - and back and forth, mixing in some reloads, etc.../ and I'd probably do that at least once a month to stay sharp or more if the gun was new to me and I was getting comfortable with it.

But that's why....I'd go with the Benelli M-4 / to cut down on the stress to my body at 600 - 1,000 shells a year probably thru the shotgun. ( I put at least 10,000 shells a year thru my primary target shotguns ..../ but I don't shoot loads nearly that heavy every week ).

Page generated in 0.02449 seconds with 8 queries