View Single Post
Old November 24, 2001, 12:55 PM   #11
Oakleaf

Been a heavy week at work - and ( thankfully ) on the stalking front.

Will depart with Bob this coming Wednesday, about a three hour drive North to the cottage.

We have been going there for close on five years and for this annual event have never yet made it in day light. Everything fully planned this time round - when I get news this morning of an unavoidable business meeting - will run into the afternoon. Will be dark again.

Why does that matter?

Despite carefully zeroing, we always try to check zero on arrival - it is amazing the number of times that otherwise dependable kit will mysteriously drift ( once on a live target is too often ). Hence every year we trog up the small hill behind the house to check zero - by lamp light!

Still not too bad?

I haven't mentioned the other tradition - as soon as we set foot out the door an otherwise clear sky clouds and the rain starts - every time - apart from when it snows or hails.

I will readily accept any comment to the effect that having zeroed within the last few days our recheck may not be essential and the drenching may do more harm than good. HEY ... this is a hunt we are talking about, what would it be without traditions!

It a little like honouring the blitz spirit. We sit there in the dark, in the rain, in the middle of a forest - Bob always has a mug of tea to hand. The shooter takes position and says lamp on. The other hits the switch on a half mil CP hand lamp, the shot is fired and it is switched off. So it goes for three shots each.

We are on the flight path to RAF Lossiemouth and RAF Kinloss. Nimrod flights ( I swear! ) used to divert over us to work out what the heck was going on!

I have factory PMC with 140 grain Gamekings to hand, but will first try my 129 grain reloads. Strangely they shoot to same point of aim and long range shots where the trajectory difference would matter are not on the cards. I have loaded 25 to take, randomly selected 5 this morning and test fired for group and velocity. Four rounds honestly formed a slightly elongated hole and the fifth was called half an inch left. Totally unneccessary accuracy for the job in hand - but a great confidence builder.

Rifle, scope, binoculars, spotting scope etc etc fully cleaned and protected. Clothing laid out to air.

My mind is not going to be on work Monday to Wednesday!

Page generated in 0.03260 seconds with 8 queries