View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 10:39 AM   #10
F. Guffey

“I'm going to get me some RCBS lube. It seems to seep through the discussions rather favorably”
Decapped, cleaned in detergent (Dawn) and rinsed, citric acid bath and rinsed, then dried over night above furnace (90 to 100 degrees). Vibrated (Dillon 2000) in mostly walnut with some corn cob and rice treated with New Shine.

I clean cases in corn media and nothing, in the old days I had friends that had a solution for every problem, they had motor rebuild in a quart can, the answer to every problem could be poured from a can. You cleaned your cases with a detergent, then came critic acid, THEN! came the NEW shine. Back to the part where I clean cases in ground-up corm media and nothing. Back in the old days they wanted to use a glaze braker to rough up the cylinder, if it was that bad I would bore the cylinders, there is nothing about a class smooth cylinder I could improve if it was straight without a taper.
The case does not whip my die and press, my press and die wins ever time, I do not use Dawn, I do not use citric acid, I do not use New Shine, if I did and had problems I would go back to corn media and nothing and try again.
Difficult to comprehend, you stuck a case in a forming/trim die, the trim/form die is not a sizer die, cases that are formed with a trim/form die must be full length sized, in my life time I have never stuck a case in a trim/form die, 30/06 cases down to 22 mm as in 22 6mm Remington wildcats, 257 Roberts from 30/06 etc.. I am not a fan of Imperial wax, I am not a fan of Dillon lanolin in the can or bottle. I use stuff, cheap stuff, on ‘tuff’ to size cases, it is messy and the cases must be degreased after sizing. In an earlier attempt to discuss alternative sizing lubes a few members on the forum lost it, seems they were driven into the curb or the topic just simple locked them up, anyhow, I suggest you cut back on the cleaning alternatives. I use corn media and nothing.

You have a short chamber? A reloader with a press, shell holder and die should be able to size a case for a short chamber, forming cases for short chambers is something a reloader should be able to do, forming cases for short chambers is not something a reloader does ever day, the reloader that can form cases for short chamber does not need a head space gage (go, no or beyond), the reloader that can form cases for short chambers does not need a Sinclair case comparator, there are tools that are nice to have, nice but not necessary.

I discovered threads on all my presses, the same for my dies, after the thread thing I found there was a limit, the limiter was set when the die contacted the shell holder. I changed shell holders, changing shell holders allowed me to shorten the case from the head of the case to its shoulder an additional .012”, after that I purchased a few Lee shell holders and gained an additional .003”. I know! I could have ground the base of the die, I could have ground the top of the shell holder to decrease the deck height, back to not necessary, grinding is not necessary, I use the feeler gage, the companion tool to the press.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03332 seconds with 8 queries