View Single Post
Old August 7, 2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Hansam

Quote:
He gave me everything he really needs in the short narrative in the post. I'm a GSP type person but can clearly tell that he wants a Boykin Spaniel, it fits his desires to a T.
How can you say that? How well do you know the OP and his desires for a bird dog? How well do you know the traits of the Boykin Spaniel? Can you say for sure that the Boykin Spaniel is the perfect dog for him?

I know only a little about the actual traits of a Boykin Spaniel - from what I already knew its pretty much like a Springer except with a solid coat and a little smaller - like a Brittany Spaniel.

Being a Spaniel its a working/hunting dog. I figured it would be high energy and need lots of exercise, more than just 5, 6 or even 7 long walks a week. So I figured I'd do some research. Here's what I found...

From http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/boykinspaniel.htm

Quote:
The Boykin Spaniel is a working dog and needs a lot of daily exercise, including a long, brisk daily walk, where the dog is heeling beside or behind you, never in front as, in a dogs mind, pack leader goes first. They have a high drive, very willing, intensely energetic dog that needs adequate exercise and a “job” to do daily to burn off energy and exercise their very nimble mind. They will find ways to entertain themselves if not provided by their owner and can be very destructive when bored or when their primal instinct to walk has not been fulfilled.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boykin_Spaniels

Quote:
They can sometimes be described as energetic with great endurance that lasts throughout the day. They are extremely adaptable to different environments as long as they are given ample opportunity for social interaction and plenty of time to burn off excess energy. They are not easily angered and tend to be eager to please and friendly, but they love attention. Boykins have great energy reserves and will always outlast you in any activity you choose.
From the AKC: http://www.akc.org/breeds/boykin_spaniel/

Quote:
The Boykin has the stamina to stay by its owner’s side during a full day of work, so it fits in best with an active family.
All this says to me that the Boykin shares the same energetic traits as the Springer which I know from personal experience to be VERY energetic - to the point of being considered hyperactive by people who are not familiar with the breed and its needs. If the OP gets a Boykin he'd better work that dog every day and work him/her hard so as to burn off that energy.

Aside from that the Boykin, being so similar to the Springer, would fit the OP's needs if he wanted just a general bird dog. Both are superb upland game bird hunters and will even retrieve waterfowl too. Really the only difference is a slight size difference (with the Boykin being a touch smaller) and the coloring. They are still very energetic though and needs to be worked to be content to lounge about at home without chewing up everything.

Having semi-professionally trained Springers, Labs, Chesapeake Retrievers, Goldens and other sporting dogs as flushing retrievers of upland game birds and as duck dogs I can say from my experience that sporting breeds, if bred for hunting, are extremely energetic. I've also talked with pointer trainers and they say the same of their dogs too.

On a side note I find it amusing that Wikipedia suggests spraying the dog's coat with cooking oil to help prevent tangling of its long coat. If you're going to own a spaniel you're just going to have to deal with the fact that if you work them you'll have to brush them every day. If you don't work them then you might get away with less brushing but I've never had a non-working spaniel.

Page generated in 0.03491 seconds with 8 queries