View Single Post
Old October 3, 2010, 08:12 AM   #9
WC145

Where I work a "person with a weapon" is a code silver but no one would announce "Code Silver, man with a gun blah blah blah". That's just ridiculous, the whole point of the code system is to keep things low key so everybody doesn't freak out. You don't create your own problems by causing a stampede before anything else happens.

That being said, I work in a very small, rural hospital that doesn't have any security or metal detectors and a "no weapons" policy for employees but no concealed carry restrictions for others. In spite of all that, my situation is a bit different because in addition to being a respiratory therapist I'm a LEO and I carry all the time, including when working at the hospital (yes, with the administration's blessing), and I keep a long gun in my vehicle.

Given the situation layed out in the original post, I would agree with BfloBill and Troy McLure - stay put, stay down, wait it out. Don't act unless absolutely necessary.

Given my personal situation, I'd be on the phone with the Regional Communications Center and try to relay them as much info as possible so that responding officers would have a good idea what they'd find on arrival. If possible I'd get to my vehicle and break out the rifle, I'd try to keep sight of the bad guy(s) and would engage only if absolutely necessary (they're not expecting armed resistance and I want to exploit that). I don't want them entering or firing on the hospital and that would be my criteria for engagement. If they try to get in or they start shooting I'm not going to stand by and do nothing.

Also, I'd be hoping that since we don't restrict concealed carry there'd be an armed citizen in the hospital willing to help, in spite of what I said about staying put and staying down.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03257 seconds with 8 queries