View Single Post
Old March 5, 2013, 02:18 PM   #3
mikld

Revolver rounds, either shot in a handgun or rifle, should be roll crimped. The ammo was designed for roll crimps to avoid bullet jump with hard recoiling guns, but the roll crimp has the advantage of assisting some powders to burn a bit cleaner (2400, H110 and W296 all burn better with a heavy crimp). Sometimes a heavy taper crimp will swage the bullet down.

Since your rifle is prolly a modern manufactured piece, to S.A.A.M.I. specs. it will handle all punlished reloads, rifle or handgun. I have 5, .44 Magnums and I started the reloading process the same with carbine, single shot, or revolver; use starting loads and increase until I got the accuracy/preformance I want.

The third die in your Lee set is a combo seat/crimp die. I would advize adjusting the die to seat the bullet (back the die body out so the cimp ridge doesn't touch the case first, then adjust stem for seating depth. Use an empty case to determine no crimping is happening yet), then back the seating stem way out and drop the die body to the desired crimp. In other words, separate the seating/crimping into 2 operations, less problems that way. Or you could buy a separate crimp die for use with a breech lock so you won't have to do quite the adjusting as you would with one die used for 2 separate operations...

I would avoid the Lee Factory Crimp Die. There is no need for "post seating resizing" of any correctly loaded round.

Last edited by mikld; March 5, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.03369 seconds with 8 queries