View Single Post
Old May 24, 2012, 07:38 AM   #21
dannyb

one-handed shooting

It's true that slow-fire bullseye is not, in itself, self-defense training. But having observed posts on SD training for years now, I wonder if anyone does any systems thinking to the process.

To me, the ability to shoot accurately with an unsupported hand is a critical SD skill. The answer that I'm almost sure to get is "They switched to two-hand in IDPA and the other sports, so that's been proven to be successful." It is successful in those scenarios, but they presuppose that you have two hands available. Of course that leads to the "training for one arm wounded" arguments, but I think that it's simpler to point out that if you're attacked on the street you may very well be holding a bag of groceries, some other purchase, your kid or grandchild (young and light enough to carry). You have the choice of dropping what you're carrying (drop the bag and sacrifice the dozen eggs, but precludes dropping human cargo) or shooting with an unsupported hand.

This is an even worse problem with the training of women. Ignoring the "teaching my girlfriend" amateurs on the range (shudder), I still see professional trainers teaching with the female student in jeans or sweats with pistol in holster or on the bench being taught to pick the pistol up with both hands and punch forward. Excellent advice except where is her pocketbook? Women have been trained from an early age to retain that pocketbook at all costs. Her entire life is in there. Unless you're going to train her to drop that thing while going for the firearm, you're setting her up for a delay in response as she tries to figure out what to do in an emergency situation. Training to shoot one handed bypasses that problem.

I am not a firearms instructor, I'm just mentioning some observations that I have made. If I'm just being naive, well, at least I have put out something to which others can respond.

Page generated in 0.02612 seconds with 8 queries