View Single Post
Old February 6, 2010, 05:43 PM   #109
Alan Duke

When I was an LEO, another Deputy and myself were coming out of a developing subdivision and I hit my brakes hard. He jumped out of his car and asked what happened. I said, "Did you see that snake!". He replied "You stopped for a snake?". I then got out "THOR" (my 10 million candle power spot light and scanned the open field.

A little side note about "THOR". If I were to shine the beam dirrectly someone, the heat from the beam can be felt from up to 8 feet away. Depenring on the charge.

I caught the movement, and found what appeared to b a 10-12 ft red tailed boa moving away about 15 yards from us. We cut it off, and I attempted to catch it a few times (Something I would never try alone with a snake of this size). It struck at me a couple of time so I backed off. I got into a bush and started to "Sun" itself from the light, sticking its head up about 3 feet above the bush and giving me a easy kill. To many houses around and I dont think I could have justified a safe shot in this case. I could not risk it for safety reasons. We tried to keep it contained, but I guess it got bored and got away through a storm sewer.

Funny thing is there was a snake story in the news here in Houston about a movie theater employee at a theater just a few blocks from the area. Seems he saw a snake about the same size in the theater and freaked out. They brought in an expert but found nothing.

Page generated in 0.03919 seconds with 8 queries