View Single Post
Old March 24, 2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Fingers McGee

I only strip my C&Bs all the way down once or twice a year. Normally, after a match, I spray Balistol on the hammer/frame/cylinder/chambers & down the barrel and let the guns sit for up to a week. This lets the balistol loosen up the fouling and residue. Then when I get around to cleaning them, I remove the barrel and cylinder, take the nipples out and soak them in Birchwood Casey BP solvent (dislovles the cap residue better than soap and water) while I wipe down the frame and barrel. A couple patches through the barrel get it clean. May have to use a nylon bristle brush on the hammer and frame to scrub stubborn deposits. I use 140 degree water in the garage utility sink to scrub the cylinder clean. Blow it dry,run some patches down the chambers, wipe down with balistol. Pipe cleaner in the nipples, brush the deposits off the outside, blow tham dry. Spray the nipple threads with Balistol and reinstall. Liberally lube the arbor with bore butter and reassemble the pistol.

The Balstol that gets down in the action when I spray the frame down, seems to turn the fouling into a grease like substance that keeps everything running smoothly.

All this takes about 20 min per pistol.

Your mileage may vary
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Page generated in 0.02669 seconds with 8 queries