View Single Post
Old January 5, 2014, 11:50 PM   #93
JohnKSa
Staff

The fact that it has happened on at least the two occasions I listed doesn't change the fact that those encounters don't really fit the typical civilian self-defense scenario template.

It's pretty unlikely that one will need a lot of rounds to resolve a civilian self-defense scenario because the typical civilian self-defense scenario doesn't involve a lot of rounds fired.

Of course, the danger in preparing for the typical scenario is that we don't get to choose our self-defense scenario and there aren't any guarantees that if things go south, the self-defense scenario we encounter will be typical.

It's a compromise that everyone who carries a firearm for self-defense will have to make. We can play the odds and prepare for the "typical" scenario, or we can decide how much we're willing to prepare for based on what we consider to be reasonable and then take that approach.

Some people carry 2 shot derringers and feel safe. Others carry a spare loaded magazine for their high-capacity carry pistol and wonder if they should really be carrying 2 spare mags. Pick your spot on the continuum and make your choice based on what's reasonable for you in your circumstances--it's all any of us can do.

I usually carry an 8 shot single-stack with a spare mag. Not because I'm sure I'll need all 15 rounds to resolve a self-defense scenario nor because I'm confident that I can resolve any situations with 15 rounds. I chose the gun because it's about the largest/largest capacity gun I can conceal without resorting to what I consider unreasonable effort, and I carry a spare mag because it's so easy to do so, I can't justify NOT doing it.

Page generated in 0.03086 seconds with 8 queries