View Single Post
Old March 23, 2019, 09:57 AM   #51
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
*sigh* "Millenial think" has absolutely nothing to do with it, this is what happens when workmanship/craftsmanship/QC takes "the very back seat of the bus" to maximization of profit margins there 2wheelwander, now with that said DirtyHarold send that 460 PC back to S&W and if they don't "make it right" demand a refund and buy a different brand, or go with a 454 in a Ruger SRH or one of the Ruger distributor exclusive lines.
One only has to look in this same sub-forum to see Ruger has it's own problems....https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=601365

The reason S&W's .460 has become so much more popular in it's short life span as compared to .454 in a Ruger Frame is shoot-ability. While the X-Frame is a pleasant experience with full house .460 loads, the Ruger is Brutal in comparison with the slightly less powerful .454. The S&W has a lifetime warranty, give S&W the chance to make it right. The OP sent the gun in for a bad barrel finish and got it back and was happy with what was done. Apparently he hadn't shot the gun before sending the gun back for the cosmetic issue. Had he, and told S&W about the chamber issues too the first time, maybe he would still be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarold View Post
I JUST got this gun back on Friday from S&W after sending it in the first time because the barrel finish quality was terrible. They sent it back with a new barrel, I was happy,
Take your car in for a brake job, and if they don't find that the trunk latch doesn't always work, who's fault is it? Should S&W had found the sticky extraction issue? I dunno. Could be the ammo they use for the two test shots didn't exhibit sticky extraction. Could be the fact that two empties always extract easier than 5. Again, I'm betting the rough action is because of the cases dragging on the recoil shield after firing. BTDT. I don't like Hornady brass in .460, never had good results from reloading it. Never had issues with factory 200s tho. The fact that the OP thought to use a pair of pliers to remove the spent brass tells me of a unfamiliarity with revolvers and how they work. While this did not contribute to the sticky brass, it may have had other consequences.

I hope when the revolver comes back, the OP is happy and the issue resolved. I love my .460, and am impressed with it's accuracy every time I shoot it. It is however, a whole different animal than most other handgun calibers, and I shoot a lot of others. Some of the P.C. models are known for tight throats, which can result in higher pressure and sticky extraction. While I have good luck reloading Starline brass several times for my .460, I don't reload Hornady brass more than twice.....period, because of it's tendency for case head separation, exactly where the bulge is on the OPs ammo. The .460 is not like your family mini-van. It's more like a hopped up muscle car with a High Compression engine.....

Page generated in 0.02731 seconds with 8 queries