View Single Post
Old September 14, 2007, 03:07 AM   #1
Bigoledude

What scope mounts are strongest

About 15 years ago I called over at Leupold to ask about the "Quick Release" mounts. While the young man on the line began to explain the workings of the mounts, he asked me to hold-on. The engineer who had overseen the development of the mounts had just walked in, and that I should feel privileged to talk to him.

This engineer explained how management had called them in and demanded development of mounts that could be removed and reattached with a minimum of a moving zero. He politely went on about how all of their efforts were rejected for over a year until the present design emerged. He told me that the "Quick Release" mounts are actually stronger than any of their other mounts and, just about every other brand of mounts out there. I brought up the brand name of some of the most popular mounts and he chuckled. He would not answer with a negative remark concerning any specific mounts. He would only say that his mounts were the toughest.

I had these mounts with Vari X III's on several rifles. All of my rifles were pretty-much babied. I really went out of my way to treat them very gingerly. I can't really say I put them through any real torture tests. I shot them a lot so, I know recoil has no effect on them. Katrina took all those rifles away. I'm gonna buy a couple of new rifles here soon. (Much less expensive guns this time around)

Leupold now carries a few removable mounts and rings. Does anyone have any experience with these mounts? How strong are they?

Page generated in 0.03805 seconds with 8 queries