View Single Post
Old July 19, 2000, 03:04 PM   #10
416Rigby

Dogger,

Your question has been asked by illustrious gun writers such as Waters and my personal idle, Craig Boddington, and seems to have no answer except for "whatever works best in your rifle".

On paper (that most obnoxious of human inventions, it seems) the 150-grainer offers more velocity and the 170-gr more penetration. However, in the field, you must consider that most game taken with the 30-30 will be taken within 100 yards and will be pretty much deer-sized. So neither the flatter trajectory of the lighter bullet nor the better SD of the 170-grain pill would make a perceptible difference.

I would still use the 170-grainer. Since there isn't much velocity to begin with, I would rather have a heavier-for-caliber slug - but that's just me and my positive obsession with sectional density. Others may swear by the 150-gr - and hats off to them.

Reality is that the 30-30 will never be able to kill by shock nor be a wonderfully deep-penetration round.

What I would do if I were you is ask your rifle. Whatever is more accurate and feeds more reliably is what I would use.

I have never shot game with the 30-30 - only used it for plinking and fun. But if I had to kill a deer with it, I would feel that either a 150 or a 170-grainer would be just as good.

Page generated in 0.02976 seconds with 8 queries