Thread: Want to reload
View Single Post
Old September 17, 2006, 07:09 PM   #2
cloudcroft

I've had Lee stuff before, and the "better" more-expensive brands of reloading equipment and have been through the progressives, too. Some time ago, I sold it all as part of my plan to unburden me of all my "stuff," including all the reloading stuff I had....WAY too many calibers, dies, shell plates, bullet sizing dies, etc.

Recently, I got back into reloading when a friend gave me a .270 Winchester (damn, I hate it when that happens)...and for SHTF (being self-sufficient) scenarios should ammo become unavailable so I could feed it -- and the .45ACP I have -- regardless of outside conditions. But I wanted to keep the equipment at a minimum this time.

So this time (probably my last time) I came back to Lee...wanted to keep things less costly all around, too.

To answer your questions...

1. The Lee Perfect "Pro" powder measure. Get the "riser" device so you'll be sure it CLEARS the tops of dies when you install it on the press (turret presses...for single-stages it doesn't matter).

2. Get the Lee Classic Turret Press (LCTP)...it can be used as a single-stage (batch-mode) OR a "semi-progressive"...options you do NOT have with a true single-stage press, like the also nice, Lee Classic "O" frame press.

3. If possible, seat and crimp in separate operations -- this is especially applicable to using lead bullets but I prefer two operations...the LCTP allows for that since it has a 4-hole turret.

4. Yes, it's true...so get carbide sizing dies and eliminate that annoying extra step, but DO be sure to clean your cases of grit/sand/dirt before you use them...take care of your dies. I use a Lyman "universal" decapping die to FIRST decap and then I'm able to wash/clean all my cases well...only THEN do I put them into my dies to resize them, etc.

Don't worry about sorting brands and such with your cases...any empty 9mm case in good condition is just as good as the next. Since you have so many empty cases on hand, you COULD do it if you wanted to but it's not at all necessary. Some people make reloading WAY more complicated then it has to be.

What's REALLY going to matter is the quality/consistency of the reloads you produce.

Good luck,

-- John D.

Last edited by cloudcroft; September 17, 2006 at 07:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.02875 seconds with 8 queries