View Single Post
Old March 22, 2014, 09:32 PM   #1
olyinaz

Uberti birdshead in 44-40

Saw this at one of the local shops a few weeks back and had to have it. I know they've made pretty much every combination a guy could think of over the years, but this particular configuration was a new one on me. Uberti, marked Mitchell Arms, birdshead grip in false ivory, 4.75" in .44 WCF.

It shoots real nice! Timing is perfect, barrel gap very tight, no spitting and shoots vertically to point of aim (I need to find a bullet weight/velocity that gets me to bullseye, but it's not far off with 200 gr slugs at standard velocity). I spent most of the day opening up the sight notch a bit (it was configured as a v notch and very small), polishing this and that, and getting a Wolff spring kit installed. Inside I found that the roller on the hammer was seized up (looked like some sort of factory metal chips in it) so I got that free and that seems to have helped a bit with the trigger pull as well. It's a bit heavy still but breaks cleanly without creep so that's nice.

At any rate, here you go. Man I love these repros - sooo much fun to mess around with!

Cheers,
Oly

Page generated in 0.02480 seconds with 8 queries