View Single Post
Old April 19, 2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Glanz

Factory Crimp Die for a 270 Weatherby

I am curious if anyone has had any success in ordering a custom made Lee factory crimp die. They don't make the die in the caliber I am reloading so I have to have one custom made. Is there another option for a crimp only die for the 270 weatherby or other uncommon calibers? I just don't want to wait 6 months for this crimp die to show up. I purchased a seating/crimping die from Hornady and wasn't too impressed with it so I figured I would split it up into two steps to make sure I get it right.

My other question relates to crimping as well. I am under the impression that you don't crimp a smooth bullet but you do crimp a bullet with a cannelure. When you don't crimp, how secure is the bullet really? I seated a smooth 150 grain bullet in a casing and cycled it through my rifle a few times. It seemed to stay in place fine but if I were to push on the tip of the bullet, I could easily push it all the way into the case. Is this normal or should it be a lot more secure? Most of my shooting is done at the range so I guess if I could avoid crimping, that would be better for my brass.

Thanks in advance, these forums have been very helpful.

Page generated in 0.03257 seconds with 8 queries