View Single Post
Old April 5, 2006, 09:13 AM   #67
ahenry

NedreckSavant,
Quote:
Ahenry, can you provide a link to that 75% assertion?
No, not off the top of my head. I did read it in one of the many articles I’ve read on this issue, but I can’t recall which one it was and I’m not interested in going back through everything I’ve read just to provide a source for this. Feel free to discount the “75% illegal” assertion. However, it should be abundantly clear to any sort of critical thinker that a large percentage of the protesters have some sort of illegal status. All you have to do is look at the banners they were waving (you know, the ones said “we are not criminals”) or even look at what they are protesting;

1) Tougher penalties on entry without inspection,
2) Tougher penalties on those that employ illegal aliens,
3) Harsher penalties on smugglers,
4) More law enforcement personnel and infrastructure, which only deals with the illegal aliens,
5) A border fence, the POE’s are still open to visitors and immigrants it’s just the area between the POE’s that get the fence. You know, that vast area where illegal aliens choose to enter America.

I’ve read the bill as passed by the house, there isn’t anything in it that a legal immigrant would be worried about. Not one single provision impacts them or their friends or families in the “old country” that might want to immigrate here. The bill being protested is a 100% illegal alien bill that doesn’t change anything for those that wish to immigrate legally. You know, those “Hispanic American people” you claimed made up the vast majority of the protestors. There is really no good reason to imagine they are protesting a bill that doesn’t impact them. The requirements to immigrate legally are the same. The requirements to obtain a non-immigrant visa are the same. This bill only impacts illegal aliens. Of course, if you read the bill you might have known that…

Quote:
I like to think I stay reasonable current with the news and such but the only large marches I'd heard about were in the 10's of thousands by boneheaded students...Are only a quarter of the students legal?
In border states and along the border region it’s very possible that a large number of the school students are illegal, not three quarters of the students, but many of them. I’m not interested in debating that tangent however. The fact of the matter is that even just the simplest of research would have shown that there have been many protests, some of them very big, and many of them haven’t been students.

Page generated in 0.03543 seconds with 8 queries