View Single Post
Old August 18, 2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Metal god

With a once fired formed to the chamber piece of brass I neck sized just enough to hold the bullet firm but I can still push the bullet in and out by hand . I put the bullet in the case by hand so it would be sticking out way to much . I then slowly chamber the round to the point of a closed bolt . This seats the bullet to the lands/rifling . I then carefully remove the cartridge and measure the total length ( COAL ) of the round . ( this was a unprimed empty case )

I also put a bullet only in to the chamber and with a dowel pushed it up till it stopped at the lands/rifling . while keeping the bullet in place I inserted through the muzzle a one piece cleaning rod till it stopped on the tip of the bullet . I marked the rod at the muzzle then removed the bullet and inserted the bolt and closed it . Then I pushed the rod down to the bolt and marked it again at the muzzle . I then measured the distance between the two marks and got pretty much the same measurement as the above mentioned way .

That's how I came up with those numbers . The rifle is a 308 Savage model 10 and I hear the have very short throats . With this one that seems to be the case .

Hope that helps and if I did something wrong please let me know so I don't blow my face off .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Page generated in 0.03735 seconds with 8 queries