View Single Post
Old August 1, 2011, 04:00 PM   #13
krinko

Hawg,
I sure would like the name of the website that offered you this moonshine explanation of the marks on your rifle.

1."numbers match up to King's own Highlanders Regiment November 44..."

What numbers? The serial number? There is absolutely no way to tie a rifle to a specific unit in the British Army by serial number.

2."...but i think this one was issued to the Ghurkha's who where part of the highlanders ( 1 battalion of 600 Ghurkha's )"

Why does he think that?

3."theres a note that "custom short versions" where requested in 43 for the Ghurkha who are of a smaller stature than the average British soldier..."

There are four lengths of buttstocks for No1 rifles (L) Long, (no mark) Regular, (S) Short and (B) Bantam---but these Bantams do not guarantee Gurkha use, as many Brits were quite small as well.

4."crown over BNP is Birmingham proof house stamp the mark to its left is the nitro proof stamp"

Crown over BNP is "Birmingham Nitro Proof" and is required on all military arms sold into the civilian market. The mark to the left of that is "Crown over GR over crossed pennants", the Military Proof put on the rifle at it's 1944 rebuild.

5."... the date of 1953 before being marked out of service"

Marked out of service? Where is he seeing a Sold Out Of Service mark?
The 1953 date is part of the mark pictured below. "FTR" is Factory Thorough Repair" and has been scratched out on your rifle.

What you actually have:
Your rifle has had three lives, at least.
As rifle "A 763" until 1944.
As a 1944 Dispersal rifle---the '44s are all rebuilds.
As a rifle FTR'd at BSA in 1953 and sent into war reserve.

Here are my three '44s---

Top one is the '53 FTR, middle is one that went out to some colony and stayed there until imported into the US, bottom is an "as issued" '44 that came to the US prior to 1968.

Proper wood for these is WW2 dated Beech furniture or the even harder to find '53ish BSA stuff.
Good luck.
-----krinko

Page generated in 0.02746 seconds with 8 queries