View Single Post
Old February 11, 2009, 01:18 AM   #96
Gaxicus

Adults

Quote:
My contention is that a little more respect for your students' decision making process would go a long way in your credibility here. They're adults!
Pax, I read and reread what you posted recently. I like all of it and can find ways to agree with at least 90% of it. I especially like the story of the woman that "disarmed" for a few months to digest what she learned in the class.

I have struggled with what to do about that situation for quite some time. The only thing I would really take issue with is that I don’t think it is enough to say "you shouldn’t carry a firearm" and drop it at that.

A list of decisions they need to make, some book references, maybe even a web site that specifically addresses this issue could really help people "digest" what they are truly undertaking. It probably wouldn’t hurt to make it a prerequisite for the class.

There is really only one more major thing. In the above quote you chastise me for not treating people like adults. It could be argued that soft selling or avoiding the psychological issues and the harsh realities of defensive firearm use is treating people like children. I believe people need to face this stuff head on. I think that is treating them like adults.

Again, I liked what you wrote. Im probably going to reread it again to make sure I didn’t miss anything I should respond to.

Thanks again.

Page generated in 0.03592 seconds with 8 queries